Tuesday, December 18, 2007

A Simple Slant Of Light (excerpt from Tonya's Book)

I have the advantage of being the first one up on most mornings. It is one of the few times our house is quiet. I usually sit and have a cup of coffee while I read the paper. But the paper is not here this morning so I am just sitting, smoking a cigarette, and drinking my coffee. I'm thinking about how cold my feet are because, once again either Tommy or Teddy have stolen my slippers. When I let Grendel out, the only other one up this morning, I open the blinds on the front door. A single ray of sunlight comes through and hits the mirror above the coat rack, sending a slant of light streaming through the room. The beam ends at the bottom of the stairs near the kitchen. So I sit mindlessly sending smoke through the slant of light. The smoke forms the most beautiful patterns then disappears. It sets my mind to thinking of the many memories in this room. Ricky and Jay's countless wrestling matches on the floor; Myla's heels clicking down the stairs on the way to the eighth grade dance; Teddy sitting near the post on Christmas morning in only a diaper; the birthday and holiday dinners at the dining room table; Tommy duck-taped to the post; Teddy throwing his chair across the floor; the pregnant you sitting in your chair;Jay tying his shoes getting ready for school; answering the door with your shot gun to greet one of Myla's dates; and all the various friends and employees that have shared our wood burner. All these images dance like phantoms around the room as I sit and have my coffee. And these memories pass through my mind like smoke through a simple slant of light.
copyright thomas ewing 2007

3 comments:

AJ Harbison said...

I remember seeing that slant of light ricocheting off the mirror at some point during our stay, and thinking of how cool it looked. Little did I know it would make it into Tonya's book....

AJ
<><

Flying Penguins said...

God is in the details.

Anonymous said...

Ok so I totally remember the story of Tommy being duck taped and greeting Myla's date with a shot gun. Both stories absolutely hilaruious and I love the way she makes it all sound like just another day in your life :) Since it is :) Great stuff!
~Nicole~