Monday, January 14, 2008

New Hope Revisited

This is to give A.J. some background as he translates poem to music. As you know, there is a town named New Hope, I did live there, and I worked as a bartender at a place called John and Peter's. I was also just divorced, working as a framer, finishing my college degree, and student teaching. My life was fairly insane on many levels so why not move to the capital. The only way to stand out in New Hope was to be "normal". Wear a pink too-too while riding a unicycle with a heroin needle hanging out your arm? Your good. It was great at first. Everything was new or at least different. Funny thing about crazy though, when it becomes normal, it loses it's edge. Working at the bar, the gay's outrageousness, the biker's bad ass bravado, the drugs, the tattoo's, the madness......became boring and old. It led me to brood on the idea of new hope. There is no "new" hope. It's really just the same old hope or perhaps the absence of hope altogether. Perhaps that is the conclusion reached by the man on the bridge, also real. I was in that mind set so it did have a big impact on me. New hope is our own creation; something to get us through the night. It is shiny and bright, like those lights....but ultimately, empty. The "dead ahead" were the living characters I met there. And the realization that "new" hope does not exist, helped me move on.

I hear the song as an up-beat, techno, dance mix. Just kidding. Best of luck.

2 comments:

AJ Harbison said...

Thanks for the background! This is an art song, now--no techno. But it will have a rag in the middle. :) I think a dark, slightly-off rag fits well with the irony and dark lightheartedness of New Hope. Next week the writing begins in earnest!

AJ
<><

Anonymous said...

up beat techno dance mix? oh yea i can totally see you writing something like that or AJ composing it *rolling eyes* :)
~Nicole~